Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Doi Inthanon and Chang Mai, Thailand 2013, part 1

In Novembre, when I had a break between classes I payed a short visit to the north of Thailand.
I had been birding in the south of this country when we visited the islands between Malaysia and Phuket with our sailing yacht Alishan in 2007-2009 as well as at Khao Sok National Park, but never at a high elevation. On this trip I was looking forward to renew old acquaintances and meet some new wings at Doi Inthanon, Thailand’s highest mountain.

I flew to Chang Mai and stayed in Baankaew Guesthouse, located at the edge of the busy night market district, outside the old city and very close to the river. My hopes of a nice garden were met. There were some high trees and even a fruiting one that saw many common lowland birds.


Coppersmith Barbet

 

Red-whiskered Bulbul







Chestnut-tailed Starling




                                        White-vented Myna
 


I was particularly happy to see the Red-whiskered Bulbul. I had seen the bird often in the south, but only in cages as pets and singing contestants. I thought they had completely disappeared and when I saw my first couple I presumed them to be escapees J





I walked around town that first day to buy supplies on the markets and eat some authentic Thai curry.






The big bowl on the right contains coconut milk with sweet stuff like beans, jellies, corn and some fruit.
I thought that was a nice start on today’s menu.


All those exotic foods, too much to try out on 1 day.









No comments:

Post a Comment